Benefit: To find tracks or to follow them for 1 mile requires a successful Survival check. You must make another Survival check every time the tracks become difficult to follow.
You move at half your normal speed (or at your normal speed with a -5 penalty on the check, or at up to twice your normal speed with a -20 penalty on the check). The DC depends on the surface and the prevailing conditions, as given on the table below:
|Very Soft||DC 5|
- Very Soft: Any surface (fresh snow, thick dust, wet mud) that holds deep, clear impressions of footprints.
- Soft: Any surface soft enough to yield to pressure, but firmer than wet mud or fresh snow, in which the quarry leaves frequent but shallow footprints.
- Firm: Most normal outdoor or exceptionally soft or dirty indoor surfaces. The quarry might leave some traces of its passage, but only occasional or partial footprints can be found.
- Hard: Any surface that doesn’t hold footprints at all, such as bare rock, concrete, metal decking, or indoor floors. The quarry leaves only traces, such as scuff marks. If the character fails a Survival check, he or she can retry after 1 hour (outdoors) or 10 minutes (indoors) of searching.
|Every three targets in the group being tracked||DC -1|
|Target’s Size 1||DC +8|
|Every 24 hours since the trail was made||DC +1|
|Every hour of rain since the trail was made||DC +1|
|Fresh snow cover since the trail was made||DC +10|
|Overcast or moonless night||DC +6|
|Tracked target hides trail (and moves at 1/2 speed)||DC +5|
- For a group of mixed sizes, apply only the modifier for the largest size category represented.
- Apply only the largest modifier from this category.
If you fail a Survival check, you can retry after 1 hour (outdoors) or 10 minutes (indoors) of searching.
Normal: Without this feat, you can use the Survival skill to find tracks, but you can follow them only if the DC for the task is 10 or lower. Alternatively, you can use the Search skill to find a footprint or similar sign of a creature’s passage using the DCs given above, but you can’t use Search to follow tracks, even if someone else has already found them.
Special: This feat does not allow you to find or follow the tracks made by a subject of a pass without trace spell.