Description: Sneaks just don’t like being trapped. They take any barrier to their freedom, literal or figurative, as a personal insult, and they have an almost pathological desire to pick all the locks, open all the doors, or talk their way out of any and all restrictions. They can be agents of the law but they’ll tend to see their jobs as making sure that freedom is enjoyed by all. They have a stronger tendency to work outside or even in opposition to the law, though, in which case they see it as another thing keeping them from their freedom.
Sample Character: The Batter
Hit Die: d6
Power Die: d6
Skill Points at 1st Level: (10 + Int per level) x4
Skill Point per Level: 10 + Int modifier
Class Skills: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Computers (Int), Craft (chemical, electronic, mechanical, pharmaceutical, structural) (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Drive (Dex), Escape Artist (Dex), Fly (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Perception (Wis), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex) Stealth (Dex), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex).
|Level||Base Attack||Fort||Ref||Will||Def.||Rep.||Class Features|
|1||+0||+0||+2||+0||+1||+0||Sneak Attack +1d6|
|3||+2||+1||+3||+1||+2||+0||Sneak Attack +2d6|
|4||+3||+1||+4||+1||+2||+0||Special Ability, Bonus Feat|
|5||+3||+1||+4||+1||+3||+1||Sneak Attack +3d6|
|7||+5||+2||+5||+2||+3||+1||Sneak Attack +4d6, Bonus Feat|
|9||+6/+1||+3||+6||+3||+4||+2||Sneak Attack +5d6|
|10||+7/+2||+3||+7||+3||+5||+2||Special Ability, Bonus Feat|
|11||+8/+3||+3||+7||+3||+5||+2||Sneak Attack +6d6|
|13||+9/+4||+4||+8||+4||+6||+3||Sneak Attack +7d6, Bonus Feat|
|15||+11/+6/+1||+5||+9||+5||+7||+3||Sneak Attack +8d6|
|16||+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+5||+7||+3||Special Ability, Bonus Feat|
|17||+12/+7/+2||+5||+10||+5||+8||+4||Sneak Attack +9d6|
|19||+14/+9/+4||+6||+11||+6||+9||+4||Sneak Attack +10d6, Bonus Feat|
|20||+15/+10/+5||+6||+12||+6||+9||+4||Special Ability, Bonus Feat|
Brawl (Ex): At level 1, you get the Brawl feat for free because all superheroes need to throw the occasional punch.
Sneak Attack (Ex): At all odd-numbered levels, Sneaks receive +1d6 Sneak Attack damage. If they can catch an opponent when he is unable to defend himself effectively from their attacks, then they can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
Their attack deals extra damage any time the target would be denied their Dexterity bonus to Defence (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the Sneak has flanked them. Critical hits do not multiply Sneak Attack damage.
Ranged attacks can count as Sneak Attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, Sleuths can make a Sneak Attack that deals NL instead of HP. They cannot use a weapon that deals HP to deal NL in a sneak attack, not even with the usual –4 penalty.
Sneaks can perform a Sneak Attack on only living creatures with discernible anatomies or vital systems, which includes people, aliens, and fantasy creatures (see Templates, Chapter 10: Heroes and Villains), but it does not include undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and phased (incorporeal) creatures. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to Sneak Attacks.
Sneaks must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. They cannot Sneak Attack while striking a creature or target that has concealment, and they cannot strike at the limbs of a creature because their vital spots (body and/or head) are out of your reach.
Special Abilities (Ex): At all even-numbered levels, Sneaks can take one of the abilities, listed in italics. They can take each ability only once, unless its text says otherwise. Unlike Class Features, Special Abilities that replicate feats require prerequisites, just like a normal feat.
- Calm Nerves: You can take 10 on any Reflex save, but you must declare your intention to do so before your make your rolls.
- Crippling Strike: Victims of Sneak Attacks take -2 penalty to Strength for 1d4 rounds.
- Defensive Roll: Once per day, you can take half damage from any attack that would bring you to 0 or fewer HPs. This requires a Reflex save equal to the damage. You cannot make Defensive Rolls if you are denied your Dexterity bonus (if any) or are unaware of the in-coming attack. The effects of this special ability to not stack with Evasion.
- Evasion: You can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If you make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage, then you instead take no damage. You can use Evasion only if you are wearing light armour or no armour. If you are helpless, then you do not gain the benefit of Evasion.
- Evasion, Improved: Your Evasion ability improves. You still take no damage on a successful Reflex saving throw against attacks, but also take only half damage on a failed save. If you are helpless, you do not gain the benefit of Improved Evasion.
- False Papers: Gain a 2CP Alternative Identity. You can take this special ability multiple times. It grants a new Alternate Identity each time.
- Nimbleness : Your Speed increases by +5 feet.
- Opportunist : Any time an opponent within your standard mêlée reach takes damage from someone else’s attack, you can choose to make an Attack of Opportunity against that opponent. You can do so only once per round, even with Combat Reflexes, and this attack counts against your total number of Attacks of Opportunity.
- Resiliency : Gain a +1 bonus to both Fortitude and Will saves.
- Skill Mastery: With 2 skills in which you already have at least one rank, including cross-class skills, you can now Take 10, even under stressful circumstances or when failure involves direct personal risk. You may select this special ability multiple times, and you may pick 2 new skills each time.
- Slippery Mind : If you fail a Will Save against a mind-affecting spell or power, you can re-roll that Will Save once, on your next turn.
- Trap Evasion: You gain a +2 bonus to Reflex saves to avoid traps and a +2 dodge bonus to Defence against attacks by traps. You can take this special ability twice. It’s effects stack.
- Trap Speciality: You gain a +2 competence bonus to detect, design, understand, disarm, or set up traps. You also gain Trapfinding, which means that you can attempt to defeat Super traps (i.e., traps with Origins). If you beat the DC of a Defeat Security check by 10, then you bypass the trap or device without setting it off. Finally, you can attempt to Disable traps and other devices that have DCs higher than 20.
- Uncanny Dodge:You retain your Dexterity bonus to Defence (if any) even if you are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, you still lose your Dexterity bonus to Defence if you are immobilised. If you already have Uncanny Dodge, then you automatically get Improved Uncanny Dodge instead.
- Uncanny Dodge, Improved: You can no longer be flanked. This defence denies anyone else the ability to Sneak Attack you by flanking you, unless they have at least 4 more levels than you in the class that grants the Sneak Attack feature.
Bonus Feats: At levels 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, and 20, Sneaks can choose a bonus feat from the following groups: Defensive, General, Skills.