In addition to 10CP per character level, at character creation you get 40CP to buy ability scores from the table below. These are your “natural” or “powerless” scores, the stats you had before you got powers. A natural score of 20 is the highest that you can buy at character creation, although you can raise your natural scores with the +1 you gain every 4 levels, so it is possible to start play with a natural score of 21.
If you want to, you can spend fewer than 40 points on the table below and bank the rest, but there is a strategy to this system. Natural scores are more expensive than Ability Enhancements, but it’s a power, so can be affected by the metapowers. Therefore, you have a few distinct options:
- build a character with high natural scores and who cannot have those abilities stolen or suppressed
- build a character with low natural scores, but leave them with more CPs to spend on other things
- build a character with low natural scores but raise them with Ability Enhancement, and risk that those powers could be affected by one of the metapowers
The simplest option is to just grab one of the standard ability spreads below, or spend your 40 points on the table below and buy powers as a separate step, but the more complex options can produce more powerful or unusual characters.
|Natural Score Costs|
|Ability Score||Modifier||Point Value|
Standard Ability Spreads
For your convenience, we provide four standard spreads of natural scores. If you don’t want to spend a great deal of time on the table above, you can just grab one of these spreads and get on with character creation.
- Min/Max: 20, 18, 8, 8, 8, 8 (costs 40CP)
- Even: 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, 10 (costs 40CP)
- Low: 14, 12, 12, 10, 10, 10 (20CP left over)
- Very Low: 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 (28CP left over)
Rolling for Ability Scores
GMs can, of course, employ a more traditional method of ability-score generation using one of the standard die-rolling methods, but if they do so, you will not receive 40CPs at character creation to buy your scores; instead, you receive only 10CP per character level.